The eighties finally saw their fortunes take off. The land comprises some 34 ha (84 acres) mainly of hydrologically sensitive fen, fen meadow and wet woodland dissected by a series of south and west flowing streams and drains totalling some 1,265 m (4,150 ft) in length. Much of the Victorian housing stock in Newton, Waltham Chase, Swanmore and as far afield as Southampton and Portsmouth is made from bricks fired at Bishop's Waltham. Abbey Mill was then used for offices until sold for redevelopment in circa 2005 to the supermarket chain Sainsburys. The Act, passed in 1723, made it a felony to "appear armed, disguised or with a blackened face, being so designed to kill deer, rob a warren or to steal fish". The Dolphin was situated on the High Street. The Bishop's Waltham Youth Theatre is run by local theatre directors associated with the Theatre Royal, Winchester. Bishop's Waltham's long history includes a roll call of Medieval and Tudor kings and queens who visited the town to stay at the palace. It was the last provincial private bank in the United Kingdom, from 1921 until it was bought out by Barclays Bank in 1953. In 1918 the Blanchard brothers, lacking heirs to pass the business to, sold the works to the prominent Southampton-based builders' merchants Elliott Brothers. There is a large youth development club called Bishop's Waltham Dynamos who use the facilities at Priory Park. Following the July 2010 Ofsted inspection, the school was rated as Grade 1 'Outstanding', Under the most recent Ofsted Inspection in 2017, the school was rated as Grade 2 'Good'. Stagecoach runs the 69 service on Sundays and Bank Holidays which departs from Winchester via Twyford, Colden Common, Marwell Zoo and then to Bishop's Waltham Square and return. The Mafeking Hero Bank Street, Bishop's Waltham Now Closed This was a 17th-century coaching inn that was initially known as The White Hart, however was renamed after the 217-day siege of Mafeking, in South Africa, had been relieved in 1900. the pub name honoured men from the village who survived the siege. The White Swan – Bank Street Bishop's Waltham closed October 2006. The Wheatsheaf , Free Street, Bishops Waltham. The area lies very accessible to the major centres of Winchester, Southampton and Portsmouth with M3 and M27 motorway access being within easy driving distance. The site is now the Claylands industrial estate and business park - there is still an Elliotts builders' merchant branch on the former brickworks site. Bishop's Waltham Cricket Club runs three sides in the Hampshire Cricket League in addition to junior teams and non-league teams that play friendly matches. Entrance Hall. The club use the same venues and with a thriving Youth section are ambitious to restore past glories to the town. Prince Leopold laid the foundation stone in 1864, and Sir Frederick Perkins presented a statue of the Prince Consort. The defunct works was acquired by the Blanchard family of London, already owners of a terracotta works in Lambeth, and restarted operations in 1871. Bishop’s Waltham is a vibrant and historic market town set in the glorious Hampshire countryside. Viewing is highly recommended. The town's name comprises three parts 'walt' – forest; 'ham' – settlement'; and 'Bishop's'. Walks & trails. , Town in the Winchester district of Hampshire, England, Learn how and when to remove this template message, Andrew Cunningham, 1st Viscount Cunningham of Hyndhope, "Map of Hampshire (Electoral Changes) Order, 2016", "Bishops Waltham's off-licence shuts after centuries", Bishops Waltham Sainsbury's opponents will 'fight on', Bishop's Waltham Sainsbury's supermarket plan scrapped, "British towns twinned with French towns", "Designated Sites View: The Moors, Bishop's Waltham", "Bishop's Waltham Junior School – Inspection Report 2010", "Bishops Waltham Infant School – Inspection Report 2011", https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Bishop%27s_Waltham&oldid=981096572, Short description is different from Wikidata, Articles needing additional references from February 2015, All articles needing additional references, Wikipedia articles with WorldCat-VIAF identifiers, Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License. It is now used as the Bishop's Waltham Tandoori restaurant. Its feeder school is Bishops Waltham Infant School. Bishop's Waltham Town FC were originally established in 1901 and initially played in the Meon Valley League before joining the Southampton League, where they held membership for many years. This pub was present by 1859 however had become a tailors shop by 1897. The White Horse Beeches Hill, Bishop's Waltham – Closed in 2010. The river then flows south, through the North and South Ponds, and then out towards Botley, where the Moors Stream tributary joins the Northbrook Stream tributary on the southern edge of Bishop's Waltham. The Red Lion was situated on Red Lions Street (now part of the car park). The Crown Inn, the Square Bishop's Waltham – The Crown Hotel, parts of which date from the 1500s, was once a coaching inn and had two court yards at the rear with stables and brew houses, the inner yard being overlooked by an open gallery. The Brewery Arms was situated on Bank Street. The best known officer to stay in Bishop’s Waltham was Admiral Pierre-Charles Villeneuve. Bishop's Waltham is a medieval market town situated at the source of the River Hamble in Hampshire, England. The site received major bomb damage during the Second World War and Elliotts closed the Bishop Waltham works (still widely known as 'Blanchards') in 1957. The town also had a large brickworks to its north, along with a gasworks that provided town gas for lighting and heating the town. The club soon regrouped and when the Wessex League was reduced to two divisions in 2007, the new Hampshire Premier League was subsequently formed with Bishop's Waltham Town becoming founder members, along with Sporting BTC (a highly successful local side, who after their 1995 formation had swept all before them in the Southampton League and Hampshire League 2004). Helps invested the works' minimal profits and much of his own fortune in building new housing for workers (creating the district of Newtown south of the brickworks in the process) and the unsuccessful attempt to build the Bishops Waltham Railway (see below). In its time, Bishop’s Waltham Palace acted as a residence for a series of the Bishops of Winchester and their clergy until it was destroyed during the English Civil War. Founded in 1809, it served as the primary provincial bank for Bishop's Waltham and the Meon Valley throughout much of the nineteenth century.  Bishop's Waltham then consolidated in the top-flight, enjoying success in 1991/92 when they beat Whitchurch United 3-1 to win the inaugural League Cup, and in 1992/93 when they were league runners-up to Pirelli General. In bid to attract more local support they changed their name back to Bishop's Waltham Town for the 2013/14 season, but after a difficult start and loss of key personnel, they withdrew from the league for the second time in 7 years. Xelabus operates the 191 bus service to Itchen College (this also serves Eastleigh College). Bishop's Waltham were placed in the middle tier, but the step-up was too much and in 2005/06 they were relegated. Stagecoach operates the 691 and the 692 bus services from Knowle, Hampshire and Lowford to Peter Symonds College. Bishop's Waltham is a medieval market town situated at the source of the River Hamble in Hampshire, England. The works began as the Bishop's Waltham Clay Company, founded by Arthur Helps in 1862.